Friday, May 7, 2010

Hair Update

I'm now a few weeks into this 'no-poo' business.  To tell the truth, I hate  strongly dislike that name.  Its saving glory is that it actually does work.  Marvelously. So far I've been using a little less that a tablespoon of baking soda, a cup of water, and a bitty squeeze of honey to control frizz.  I keep a cup in the shower, grab it as the water warms, run to the kitchen and run back. 

The first time I tried it, my heart was pumping like I had just run a marathon, I was so nervous.  What kind of tangles was I going to have to brush out? Oh, sugar, I don't own a brush WHAT AM I GOING TO DO NOW??! 

Not to exaggerate, but now I'm used to it I feel like I'm in an Herbal Essence commercial.  Using this stuff I can run my fingers through my hair no problem.  I gave up on using a brush ages ago so I was used to losing hair with finger brushing, but I think I'm actually losing LESS hair now than I was using shampoo.  My hair is super silky smooth and shiny.

I am experiencing drawbacks though. My scalp is still super itchy if I leave the baking soda on too long and it feels weird greasy at the crown when I don't rinse it out well enough.  This weekend I'm going to track down some Apple Cider Vinegar to see how that works.  I'm not too upset by this because everything I've read says it is to be expected.

What really breaks my heart is that my curls are pretty lifeless right now.  They used to be big and bouncy and I could sleep on them and they would be relatively decent in the morning.  Now they are small and more tightly wound and sleeping on them KILLS any bounce and volume.  I wake up with them matted to my cheeks.  My heart is breaking.  I have to straighten my hair a lot.  Ohhh what to do?

I'm not giving up though.  But I refuse to shower in the morning.  There has to be some middle ground somewhere.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin,

Try mixing 1 part honey with 3 parts hair conditioner. Rub into hair and leave on as long as possible - from several minutes to several hours, covering your head with a shower cap.
Wash and dry your hair in the usual way and the result will be shiny healthy hair.

Kind regards,

Pat.